a creative mind at work in the deep dark basement

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ahoy Matey!



Ahoy Matey!!!  How is your week going?  Well, I would love to say my week is going fabulous, but I got stuck in an airport yesterday late afternoon with flight delays (without my laptop and a dead cell phone battery) so I'm ready to start today off fresh with one of newly created favorite cards.

Last week I had a few evenings to stamp/color and came across this challenge that I knew I needed to try this month.  It's a new one over at the Paper Smooches blog and this month the July Sparks Challenge to use one of the free sketches and/or color combinations.  You can use any of the Paper Smooches stamps or any stamps from the "Kim Hughes Collection" from Cornish Heritage Farms.

This card uses one of the sketches provided for the month of July as you all know I am a HUGE fan of sketches so how could I resist that challenge?  I used the top right hand sketch for my card.


I pulled out an old favorite of mine, Ahoy Matey-I love this set! As much as I keep thinking I'll sell off some of my older sets, I keep on holding onto this one.  I think it's destined to be with me, I've made some of my favorite cards with this set.

So along with the sketch I also used the current Papercrafts Connection Color Challenge #7 which was to use the color combo on p. 60 of Color Inspiration of Card Makers. The Bazzill equivalents are Caribbean Breeze, Petty Cash shimmer, Mango and Candlelight of which I interpreted to be Tempting Turquoise, Certainly Celery, Creamsicle Cardigan and for the yellow I would have used So Saffron but didn't end up using the cardstock...I colored instead.


I love this color combination!!!  It's one that I can see myself using again and again (and one I've probably used several times before).

With my image, I added in one of the Paper Smooches sentiments from Birthday Buddies.  I thought it was appropriate for this cute little image.  I stamped my favorite stamps (the skulls) to create my own background paper and the dyed some seam binding to tie in the orange.  I love how the finished card looks even though it's larger than my "normal" sized cards (it's 5.5 x 5.5)

Off to get my day going in my comatose state of mind from lack of sleep last night 
(or this morning I should say).

**************************************************************
Card details:
Stamps: Ahoy Matey and Cute Curls from the Kim Hughes Collection from Cornish Heritage Farms, Birthday Buddies from Paper Smooches
Cardstock: Tempting Turquoise, Certainly Celery (SU!), Creamsicle Cardigan and A Blanc Check (Clear & Simple Stamps)
Inks: Perfect Little Black Dress (Clear & Simple Stamps), Tempting Turquoise (SU!), copic markers
Embellishments: circle punch, seam binding colored with YR20 copic, card candy

5 comments:

TenSGal said...

Absolutely adorable! Love the little pirate parrot! :)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OH MY! This is super cute! I love the ribbon on the side and the beautiful colors! I am so jealous that you have this stamp--I saw it about six months ago, and I wanted it! LOVE LOVE LOVE:)

Linda Beeson said...

Very cute, great colors and LOVE those orange knots!

Suzanne C said...

Wonderful use of the colors and the sketch! Super cute image and design! Sorry about your airport experience!

Kelly Braund said...

Love this stamp set! Great card!

Post a Comment

Thanks for looking at my creations and if you wish to, please let me know what you liked/disliked about it...all comments are welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...